Some of the All Progressives Congress’s (APC) top leaders in Delta State, led by Barrister Festus Keyamo, SAN, have sworn not to be subjugated as house helpers to the Senate’s Deputy President, Senator Ovie Omo-Agege.
Olorogun Great Ogboru, the party’s 2019 governorship candidate, Rt. Hon. Victor Ochei, former Speaker of the Delta State House of Assembly, Rt. Hon. Monday Igbuya, former executive director of the Niger Delta Development Commission, NDDC, Dr. Cairo Ojougboh, and Dr. (Mrs.) Mariam Ali are among the leaders.
The party chieftains in a petition to the National Organising Secretary of the party alleged that materials destined for the conduct of the forthcoming congresses were hijacked by a surrogate of an alleged party leader who they claimed wants to occupy the position of sole leader of the party in the state.
The leaders averred that while they are not disposed to rubbing minds with other leaders averred that they were not ready to bootlick to gain influence in the party.
GreenWhiteGreen GWG reports that Senator Omo-Agege upon his emergence as Deputy President of the Senate was conferred by the mainstream of the Delta APC as the leader of the party in the state and in the South-South zone.
That designation has been disputed among some party leaders who were foundation members of the party.
The struggle for supremacy GreenWhiteGreen GWG reports has been one of the points of discord that has also stymied the inauguration of the board of the Niger Delta Development Commission, NDDC.
In their petition dated July 21, 2021 calling on the party leadership to redress their grievances, the chieftains said:
The National Organising Secretary,
All Progressives Congress,
AS FEARED AND PREDICTED, THE FORMS FOR THE WARD CONGRESSES MEANT FOR DELTA STATE HAVE BEEN HIJACKED AND CONFISCATED BY UNAUTHORISED PERSONS.
We wish to bring to your attention the fact that the Forms that were dispatched to Delta State to be purchased for the Ward Congresses, along with your officials from the National Secretariat, have been violently and unlawfully taken away from the officials. The moment they arrived Asaba yesterday, Tuesday, July 20, 2021, a certain gentleman named Nick (with phone numbers +2349063077460 and 08083605135) who was acting at the behest of a particular leader of the Party in the State, accosted the officials and with the active connivance of the security personnel that escorted them to the State, took away the entire materials to an undisclosed location under the guise of ‘protecting’ the materials. The leader of your officials is named George. We spoke with him earlier today and he narrated their ordeal to us.
In the recent past, we have consistently sounded alarm bells about the activities of this so-called leader who has been boasting about how he has ‘pocketed’ all the officials of the Caretaker Committee of our great party. He paints a pitiable and beggarly picture of the officials that he tells everyone that they would always do his bidding and pander to his whims, regardless. We know this to be a cheap lie, but the Party MUST act in the face of this kind of lawlessness to further distance itself from such blackmail.
Delta APC Does Not Belong To One Man
Needless to say that we do not want to believe that this is part of a sinister and reckless plot by some unscrupulous officials to hand over the entire fortunes of our great Party in Delta State to ONE MAN, and to freeze out other genuine leaders in the State. That would be a recipe for total disaster for the Party in a State where we are already struggling as Opposition. We do not claim to be the only leaders in the State either. There are other credible leaders. However, we cannot be denied the right to associate within the Party to promote a common interest, like we have agreed to do. Other leaders are free to do same. To suggest, as we have seen recently, that we cannot associate or meet except we take permission from a certain official of the State Exco that cuts a pitiable picture of a house help to a particular leader( who continues to hold him to ransom with promises that may be some mirage) is to do violence to the spirit and letters of the 1999 Constitution and that of our Party.
PRAYERS BY DELTA APC CHIEFS
1. To order the immediate arrest and prosecution of the gentleman called Nick who impersonated and confiscated the materials without authorisation from the National Secretariat. The Party MUST do this to show it is not complicit in this outrageous act.
2. The IMMEDIATE release of the materials to the AUTHORISED officials, who are now stranded in Asaba to perform their LEGITIMATE duties. We shall boycott the whole process and look at other legal options if genuine Party members are denied access to the forms by these characters.
3. A Public Statement by the Party that it has not endorsed anyone AS LEADER in DELTA STATE before whom everyone must go and bow before they can be cleared for the Congresses. That is the fable some characters are telling the unfortunate and misinformed party members in the State to cow them and beat them into line.
4. Kindly act timeously to save this unfortunate situation.
1. Festus Keyamo,SAN, FCIArb (UK)(Hon. Minister representing Delta in FEC).
2. Olorogun Great Ogboru (2019 APC Governorship Candidate)
3. Rt. Hon. Victor Ochei (Former Speaker, Delta State House of Assembly)
4. Rt. Hon. Monday Igbuya ( Former Speaker, Delta State House of Assembly)
5. Dr. Cairo Ojougboh (Former ED, NDDC)
6. Dr. (Mrs.) Marian Ali (Foremost Woman Leader of the State)
7. AIr Vice Marshall (Rtd) Okorodudu (Former Senatorial Candidate of the APC
CC: 1. President Muhammadu Buhari, National Leader of the APC
2. H. E MAI MALA BUNI, Chairman, APC C&ECC
3. National Secretary, APC C&ECC
4. Various Stakeholders