Tukur Buratai, Chief of Army Staff, has ordered soldiers taking part in counter-insurgency operations in the North-East to quickly ready themselves to war mode.
According to Peoples Gazette, Buratai lamented a slack in personnel performance that had prolonged the war.
An internal army correspondence seen by the newspaper, titled: “COAS Special Order-01 Change to War Mode,” also directed soldiers deployed in ‘Operation Lafiya Doleé a special anti-terrorism combat squad to treat all individuals in the troubled region as Boko Haram suspects until properly identified.
“All persons must be treated as suspects unless fully identified and cleared especially in isolated, high threat areas, when on clearance operations and check point duties.
“We are not in peacekeeping operations, internal security operations or deterrence actions. This is real war fighting,” the November 20, 2020, directive said.
OPLD Theatre Commander, Farouq Yahaya, also conveyed a follow-up from Buratai to the soldiers, directing them to “quickly identify” and “immediately neutralise” all confirmed terrorist elements.
Rights activist, Emeka Umeagbalasi, worries that the new methodology deployed by Chief of Army Staff portends grave consequences for human rights.
“If that directive is implemented, we are going to witness human rights abuses on an industrial scale,” Umeagbalasi told Peoples Gazette.
“The Nigerian Army’s counter-insurgency operations should be done within the confines of international best practices. Superior intelligence and crime detection must be applied considering Boko Haram’s asymmetrical style of operations in the North-East can’t be labeled as terrorists,” he added.
Military authorities had repeatedly assure sinced 2015 that the decade-long war against insurgency had been won, and the Nigerian Army was merely executing a mop up operation to extinguish remnants of Boko Haram in the North-East.
DJ Cuppy gets 3 iPhone 12 Pros, one week after begging for one on Twitter (Video)
Five children disappear into thin air from Stella Obasanjo Motherless Home
Grieving mother backs dead 5-year-old only child who was allegedly poisoned (Video)
Sanwo, Tinubu, we will bring you down – Video of gang leader pledging to kill all politicians involved in the murder of his cousin at Lekki toll gate
How My Two Sons Were Slaughtered By Boko Haram In My Presence during Zabarmari Attack
Watch emotional video of late Chisom Chukwuneke, who passed 2019 WASSCE with 7As, talking about her illness before death
“We don’t need the social media bill, count me out” – Gov. Makinde (Video)
Laycon goes crazy in excitement as he rocks Nengi in a night club
Pastor Eucharia Anunobi, Ini Edo, Uche Jombo, Eniola Badmus, others dance their hearts out at Chika Ike’s 35th birthday gig
News21 hours ago
Rats trapped in bin scream in agony as sicko pours boiling water over them
Metro11 hours ago
They loaded guns and knifes – only known Zabarmari Massacre Survivor Tells Horrifying Story
World Update21 hours ago
Horror as big cat ‘spotted’ sneaking into UK town centre three times in the last week
News10 hours ago
FRESH ATTACK: Boko Haram slaughter nursing mother, many farmers, kidnap 30 In Katsina Communities – Lawmaker
News23 hours ago
Breaking: Maina arrested in Niger Republic
News22 hours ago
How APC , PDP succeeded in destroying Goodluck Jonathan and terribly defamed his personality – Jackson-Ojo
News22 hours ago
Leave our country: Fresh attack on Nigerian traders in Ghana as brutal shops closure begin
News4 hours ago
Killer Of Nasarawa APC Chairman Arrested – Governor Sule