Connect with us

News

Seven people dead after drinking Covid hand sanitiser when alcohol ran out at party

Published

on

A house party in Russia had a sad end when nine people drank toxic hand sanitiser made up of 69% deadly methanol when they ran out of alcoholic drinks.

Reports from Russia, claimed seven have died while the remaining two are in coma in the intensive care ward.

The germ-fighting liquid was 69 per cent methanol, an extremely toxic substance that can cause blindness, vomiting and death if ingested.

Federal public health watchdog, Rospotrebnadzor reported: “Nine cases of poisoning with sanitiser have been registered, including seven that were fatal.”

The first three victims were a 41-year-old woman and two men aged 27 and 59, who died at the house in Tomtor village in the Tattinsky district of the country’s largest region, Yakutia.

Six others were flown by a medical evacuation aircraft to regional capital Yakutsk.

On Friday three more men died, aged 28, 32 and 69, with another death reported today.

Two more remain in a coma in an intensive care ward, say reports.

READ  I have found cure for coronavirus – Nigerian Professor

Yakutsk is 280 miles south of the Arctic Circle in East Siberia and is officially the coldest city on Earth.

The remote city is built entirely on permafrost, and to stop the buildings melting the ice below, they are mostly built on pylons or stilts.


Temperatures can drop to -35/-36 degrees in December and January, and at the moment it is a bone-chilling -21.

Pictures taken of the house where the party took place hint at the extreme coldness, with the front of the property shrouded in a thick blanket of snow.

Trending

%d bloggers like this: