On Wednesday night, at least seven members of a family died of food poisoning in Auki village, Bungidu Local Government Area of Zamfara State.
The family, comprising two housewives and their five children, died after taking their dinner, which was made of tuwon dawa (guinea corn food).
Narrating the incident to The PUNCH, an indigene of the area, Mohammed Mas’ud, said the family developed stomach disorder immediately after eating their dinner, with three of them dying instantly.
Other members of the family were rushed to Bungudu General Hospital, where four of also died.
The Medical Director in charge of the hospital, Dr. Gambo Tsafe, confirmed that the investigation conducted by the hospital had shown that the victims died of food poisoning as a result of consuming contaminated food.
Gambo explained that the deceased were vomiting and stooling when they were brought to the hospital and added that all efforts to save their lives proved abortive.
The husband, Hassan Lawali, who did not eat the food as he was not in the house as of the time the deadly meal was served, could not speak because he was not in the right frame of mind to do so after losing his family.
Hassan’s father, Malam Lawali Auki, said the family did not report the incident to any authority.
He said, “Since they were not killed by anybody, I didn’t consider it necessary to report the case to any authority.
“The food was cooked and eaten by the family members; there was no basis for reporting the case to the police.”