Jos jail Attack: How correctional centre guards foiled attempt.

Heavily armed gunmen Tuesday night attacked Kuje Medium Prison in Abuja freeing more than 90 per cent of the inmates.

Sources revealed that the gunmen invaded the correctional centre around 10.30pm, with heavy bombardments and successfully operated for about one hour unhindered.
It was gathered that the invading gunmen, who came with trucks, went away with Boko Haram inmates at the Correctional centre. After the operation, other inmates, apart from Boko Haram members taken away by the gunmen, also escape.
Sources revealed that after the attack not more than 30 out of the over 1, 000 inmates were found at the correctional centre.
A prison staff, who confirmed the attack in a chat with Daily Sun, said some of the attackers came from the back of the prison yard, while others arrived with trucks used to evacuate the targeted inmates.

]”>

Somewhere around one individual has died, with three others harmed in an assault on the Kuje Correctional Center in Abuja, the country’s capital.

On Tuesday night, blasts and shots were heard from the course of the restorative place, a circumstance that constrained commotion among occupants of the Kuje region.

Scarcely 24 hours after the episode, the Federal Government said thought Boko Haram fear based oppressors raged the office to safeguard their individuals.

See also  AFCON: Buhari in video call with Eagles, others, urges them to go for gold
Men of the Nigeria Correction Service departs the Federal High Court in Abuja as they convey convicts to the Kuje Prison in Abuja. Photo: Sodiq Adelakun/Channels TV
Men of the Nigeria Correction Service depart the Federal High Court in Abuja as they convey convicts to the Kuje Prison in Abuja. Photo: Sodiq Adelakun/Channels TV

 

The Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Interior, Mister Shuaibu Belgore, stated this on Wednesday during a visit to the facility.

He explained that over 300 of the inmates have been retrieved and more are on the way, adding that about 600 prison inmates fled in the attack last night.

Although the police authorities have yet to issue a formal statement on the matter, a spokesperson for the Nigerian Correctional Service, AD Umar, said normalcy had been restored after security agencies intervened.

“I wish to confirm that about 2200hrs, some yet-to-be-identified gunmen attacked the Medium Security Custodial Centre, Kuje in the Federal Capital Territory,” Umar said.

“However, men of the Armed Squad of the Nigerian Correctional Service and other security agencies attached to the Custodial centre have responded and calm has been restored to the facility and the situation is under control.”

This is not the first time gunmen will attack correctional centres in the country, releasing inmates while killing some security officials.

During an attack on the Owerri prison in Imo State on April 4, 2023, gunmen had freed 1,844 prisoners after using explosives to gain entry into the facility.

See also  Why Jonathan now?

The attackers made their way into the Owerri prison in Imo state, engaging guards in a gun battle before storming the prison.

There is controversy over the whereabouts of suspended Deputy Commissioner of Police, Abba Kyari, who is being remanded at the Kuje Correctional Centre in Abuja.

Fears over the whereabout of the Deputy Commissioner of Police came after bandits attacked Kuje Correctional Centre, Abuja, where he was kept.It was learnt that during the attack which lasted hours, some inmates were said to have escaped. According to officials, the facility houses over 900 inmates.
A source at the Correctional Centre who spoke on condition of anonymity said: “We have not seen him today. He didn’t also come for Subhi (early morning) prayer as usual. But I don’t know what is happening.”
Another official, who preferred anonymity, said that the whereabouts of Kyari remained unknown to him as of 09.30am.
“I am sure he is not missing and he didn’t escape. But I don’t know where exactly he is,” the official said.
When contacted, the spokesperson for the Nigerian Correctional Service, Umar Abubakar, said “Kyari is not missing”.
Abubakar also noted that Kyari has not been moved from the Kuje prison.
Abubakar in a statement in the early hours of Wednesday said the armed squad of the service in collaboration with other security agencies responded to the attack.
The statement was titled, “Medium Security Custodial Centre, Kuje attacked by gunmen.”
It read, “I wish to confirm that at about 2200hrs, some yet-to-be-identified gunmen attacked the Medium Security Custodial Centre, Kuje, in the Federal Capital Territory.
“However, men of the Armed Squad of the Nigerian Correctional Service and other security agencies attached to the Custodial Centre have responded and calm has been restored to the facility and the situation is under control.
“Other details will be made available soon.”
During a visit to the facility, the Permanent Secretary of the Ministry of Interior, Mr Shuaibu Belgore, also confirmed that about 600 inmates escaped from the Kuje Correctional Centre following Tuesday evening’s attack.
Belgore explained that over 300 of the inmates have been retrieved.
He suspected that the gunmen attacked the facility to rescue their terrorism co-conspirators.
The official added that one person died and three others were injured during the attack.

See also  APC chieftain murdered in Osun

]”>

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *