Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

World Update

All eyes on 18-tonne Chinese rocket falling to Earth tonight in ‘uncontrolled re-entry’

All eyes on 18-tonne Chinese rocket falling to Earth tonight in 'uncontrolled re-entry'


Debris from a Chinese space rocket is set to crash land on Earth in a fiery uncontrolled re-entry early on Sunday morning.

The main segment from the Long March-5b vehicle weighs 18 tonnes but poses a very small chance of hurting someone as it’ll burn up on it way down.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Experts have been narrowing down when and where it could land back on Earth since China lost control of it in space.

The problem is fiendish due to how fast the rocket is moving around our planet, with the latest estimates saying it could drop anytime between 9.52pm and 9.52am on Sunday morning, UK time.

See also  Arnold Schwarzenegger Talks Strategy for Caitlyn Jenner to Win Governor's Race

The rocket was used to launch the first module of China’s new space station last month.

It is one of the largest items in decades to have an undirected dive into the atmosphere.



Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.
US Defence Secretary Lloyd Austin said there were no plans to shoot down the rocket
US Defence Secretary Lloyd Austin said there were no plans to shoot down the rocket

The US on Thursday said it was watching the path of the object but currently had no plans to shoot it down.

US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said: “We’re hopeful that it will land in a place where it won’t harm anyone.

“Hopefully in the ocean, or someplace like that.”

Estimates for where and when the rocket will hit vary widely and China has been accused of “negligence” for losing control of another space rocket.



Experts have been narrowing down when and where the rocket could land back on Earth since China lost control of it in space
Experts have been narrowing down when and where the rocket could land back on Earth since China lost control of it in space

Jonathan McDowell from the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, US, told BBC News: “It is indeed seen as negligence.

“This is the second launch of this rocket; the debris in Ivory Coast last year was from the previous launch, i.e. a basically identical rocket.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

“These two incidents [the one now and the Ivory Coast one] are the two largest objects deliberately left to re-enter uncontrolled since Skylab in 1979.”



Estimates for where and when the rocket will hit vary widely and China has been accused of "negligence" for losing control of another space rocket
Estimates for where and when the rocket will hit vary widely and China has been accused of “negligence” for losing control of another space rocket

Fragments of the US space station Skylab scattered across Western Australia in 1979, attracting worldwide attention.

The Long March-5b is moving at incredible speeds in an elliptical orbit around the planet while slowing down due to drag in the air.

Its orbit only goes over certain areas of the globe too.

So the potential fall zone can be limited to 41.5 degrees north or south from the equator – meaning Britain is safe.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.


Jonathan McDowell from the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, US, accused China of 'negligence' over losing control of the rocket
Jonathan McDowell from the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics, US, accused China of ‘negligence’ over losing control of the rocket



Want all the latest shocking news and views from all over the world straight into your inbox?

We’ve got the best royal scoops, crime dramas and breaking stories – all delivered in that Daily Star style you love.

Our great newsletters will give you all you need to know, from hard news to that bit of glamour you need every day. They’ll drop straight into your inbox and you can unsubscribe whenever you like.

You can sign up here – you won’t regret it…

Dr Hugh Lewis, who models space debris at Southampton University, UK, tweeted: “It’s worth remembering that there are approximately 900 orbital rocket stages in low-Earth orbit, left behind by nearly every launch-capable nation and with a combined mass orders or magnitude greater than the one expected to re-enter the atmosphere this [weekend].”

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Chinese media has played down Western reports about the potential hazards as “hype” saying the debris will likely fall somewhere in international waters.

The Global Times quoted aerospace expert Song Zhongping added that China’s space monitoring network would keep a close watch and take necessary measures should damage occur.





Source link

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You May Also Like

Viral

A Nigerian man living in Brazil is currently fighting for his life after he was stabbed by his wife. Emeka ... Read more

Entertainment News

Following reports that senator, Dino Melaye and actress, Iyabo Ojo will be getting married soon, the actress has in a ... Read more

Entertainment News

After denying that he got his wealthy with the aid of Prohet Chukwuemeka Ohanaemere also known as Odumeje aka Indaboski, ... Read more

Entertainment News

Popular Nigerian Cross dresser, Bobrisky won’t cease to seek attention of his fans with his controversial posts these days. Bobrisky ... Read more

Copyright © 2021 SleekGist